For those who want to do meaningful work, who want to go home at the end of the day knowing they've made a difference, there are few places as fulfilling as The Seeing Eye.
The Seeing Eye employs about 150 people at our Morristown, New Jersey campus, with jobs ranging from kennel workers to fundraising specialists.
Quite frequently, people ask us, "How can I become a Seeing Eye® instructor?" Staff instructors are full-time employees who hold college degrees from various fields of study and have successfully completed three years of specialized on-the-job training.They relate well to dogs and people and are physically fit, since their jobs are physically demanding and involve working outdoors in all weather. Some of our current instructors came from teaching, business consulting and rehabilitation fields. Some were in the military and worked with dogs before, and many started out as kennel assistants here at The Seeing Eye.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, please go to our Volunteer Opportunities page.
Director, Donor and Public Relations
The Seeing Eye, the preeminent guide dog school in the world, is seeking a Director of Donor and Public Relations. Reporting to the President & CEO, the next Seeing Eye Director of Donor and Public Relations will serve as the organization’s lead fundraiser. As a senior member of the CEO’s team, this individual will also set the overall tone for the development program. This exciting position represents an opportunity to join a dynamic organization with a fabulous mission and strong Board. The Seeing Eye raises more than $12 million per year and is positioned to achieve continued growth and success.
Since 1929, The Seeing Eye has helped to enhance the independence, dignity and self-confidence of people who are blind and visually impaired through specially bred and trained Seeing Eye® dogs.
The Director of Donor and Public Relations will serve as The Seeing Eye's chief development officer.
- Define and maintain a sound development strategy through collaboration with the President and the Donor & Public Relations Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of individual major gift prospects
- Manage and oversee programs for major gifts, planned giving, annual giving, and special events
- Provide direction and oversight to the public relations, social media, video, and publications efforts of The Seeing Eye
- Travel to solicit and engage prospects
- Manage a department of twelve
- Provide leadership to engage Board members and friends of The Seeing Eye in development activities
The successful candidate will be an outgoing, creative, and ambitious goal-oriented leader skilled in relationship building who will appreciate and thrive in a competitive philanthropic environment.
- Ten years of significant development experience involving the management of a complex development program
- Demonstrated success in developing a strong major gifts program and in personally securing six-figure and higher major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher is required
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Seeing Eye also offers an excellent benefits package.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to Randall E. Ivens, Director of Human Resources
or via mail to:
The Seeing Eye, Inc.,
P.O. Box 375
Morristown, NJ 07963-0375
or Fax to (973) 644-5398.
The Seeing Eye is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
[Back to Top]